Tuesday, April 29, 2008

MDX vs. Altima Hybrid

We need a new car. Yang's current car, 93 Infiniti G20, is reaching the end of life. It's drivable but we are not sure how long it will last. We sinked in a couple thousand dollars a year for maintainance. We almost brought a new car in 2004, but decided not to at the last minute. Four years later, we really need one, but what kind?

I drive a used 03 Acura TL and like it. Our first choice is a used Acura MDX. It seats 7 people and will be useful when the extended family go out together. For the last few weeks I have been doing some window shopping. The local Acura dealers has some used Acura MDX's but none of them offered me a good price. Yang and I also tested the latest MDX. Great car but too expensive for us.

Last Saturday (4/26) I visited Nissan dealer. They had the new 08 Nissan Altima Hybrid on display. After a quick test drive, I just brought it. I called Yang and she didn't even bother to come for a test drive. I brought a base model with no options, and the price is slightly below the official invoice price. Next April I should be able to get a hybrid car rebate from the US government. So overall it's good buy, and I didn't have any stress throughout this process.

The car looks slick from outside. I didn't pay much attention of the interior. When Yang went to pick up the car, she wasn't happy to see the dark interior. It's too late. She would have to get use to it. After a few days, Yang gets use to it already. It sure gets good MPG. For now we are keep the G20 and will rotate the cars for our commute.

No comments: