Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Indian in Szechuan restaurant

R is a colleague of mine from the Delhi office. He is a hard working hard driving manager and chain smoker. He can be up for several days in a row with very little sleep. Sometimes I wonder if he is in the right business as a software programmer. He is more suitable as a union leader or in a rock band. When I visited India, R used to show me around and take me to restaurants. We stayed up very late and I always drank and smoked with him.

R loves spicy food. When he visited the Bay Area last year, I took him to a Szechuan restaurant in San Mateo for lunch. This restaurant had a reputation of serving very spicy food. I thought he would be satisfied. We ordered cold noodles, fish in tofu and another seafood dish. All three were marked with red peppers on the menu. When the dishes came, R didn't think they were spicy enough, he kept on pouring hot sauce. I and the waiter were both surprised. R was sweating but pressed on.

As much as he liked the spicy dishes, R disapproved the cold noodles. "Why do they serve the food cold?" I guess it's not normal to serve cold dishes in India.

3 comments:

P Cooker said...

Q,
This is awesome!!! We were in splits over this in India. R had his leg pulled to no extent! Of course we had to go out to celebrate the occasion!! More smokes & spicy food ruled!!

Regards

RM(r's manager!!!!)

Yang said...

I went to India in November 2006. I cannot wait to post my own blog about the India trip. For the record I say, I approve of drinking and eating spicy food, not chewing tobacco or smoking when I am around. But hey, hats off to you hard-working fun-loving people! One day we’ll bring the boys over to enjoy a wedding party, perhaps :)

Anonymous said...

RM, there are more to be said about you! I don't want the guys to lose respect of you, yet. -Q