Sunday, April 6, 2008

Sunday on the hiking trail

Yang took today off from writing to spend time with Victor and me. Three of us went on the Carquinez Strait Regional Shoreline hiking trail. The air was cool today, a good day for hiking. We went much further than last two weeks when Victor and I were hiking by ourselves. Along the way we saw a beautiful sunflower plant. Sunflower is Yang's favorite flower. The soil surrounding the plant was very dry. We didn't know how this plant grew so healthy among other wildflowers.


Two deer were next to the trail and three of us caught a glimpse of them. They bounded away as we walked closer and before I could take a picture. A big black cow was nearby too. It chewed the cudd and watched us walking by gingerly.

When we were on the top of the hill surrounding by the trees and grass, my cell phone rang. It was a car dealer from the local Acura dealership asking me to buy a car. He was persistent but I managed to hang up after a minute of conversation.

Victor slipped a few times on the way down. We decided that we would find a flatter hiking trail next time.

1 comment:

Yang said...

It was such a treat to follow Victor as he hiked up the steep trail. His small feet pattered away, he talked and sang to himself, and he threw sticks and rocks down the slope. I couldn’t believe that I carried him inside my body just a few years ago. At times he squatted down to marvel at the ladybugs and spiders. He cried once when he fell, but further down the trail, he yelped and laughed. If all of us have this much energy, curiosity and enthusiasm for life—their innocence is the power that will enable children to change the world tomorrow.