Saturday, April 12, 2008

Beautiful kidneys

I paid my annul visit to the radiologist yesterday. This was not usually a pleasant experience. The exam required fasting: I could not eat or drink past midnight. In the morning I had to drive for about one hour in rush hour traffic to get there, and then waited in the lobby to sign in.

I met a nice technician who did my checkup. She looked like the ultrasound technician from the movie Juno. She was very talkative and encouraging. The whole exam lasted fifteen minutes.

“I'm not suppose to tell you but everything looks fine.” She told me. By rule, technicians would just pass the results to my doctor and let her interpret the results.

“You have beautiful kidneys,” She continued. This was a sentence that I had never heard in my life.

“Thank you.” I didn't know how to react.

“You have good genes," she said. "This is my first exam today. It's good to see healthy organs. You made my day.”

After the exam she asked if I needed any water. I'd never met a medical professional who is so personal. She consulted with a radiologist then showed me out. “Have a good year!”

She certainly made my day and I hoped that she can do my exam again next year. We can all make a difference in this world. She was definitely practicing this.

I need to call my parents to thank them.

1 comment:

Yang said...

It sure is nice to be told that you have good genes, by a medical professional!
I had a nice experience lately with my doctor. The last time I had seen her I went through a traumatic procedure. Now more than a year later we met again. She asked me how I was and gazed at my face for a full minute, as if trying to gauge my emotional state. No doctor had wasted so much time looking at me; to them I was just a body to be checked and sent on its own way. My doctor then carried on with her business, and I know that she had “seen” me as a person, not just a body.
I’ve never been to a psychiatrist, but I believe you can tell if your doctor cares, or you’re just their paycheck. You may be a patient, but you’re not a zombie.