Sunday, March 1, 2009

Victor Plays Little League

We signed Victor up for a Little League in our neighborhood. Little I know that this league is competitive. Unlike many other kids on the team, Victor never played baseball before. He was struggling in the first few practice sessions. He doesn't know how to field the balls, how to throw, or how to hit. I was in the first weekend session, and Victor seemed to have a miserable time. He didn't hit anything and was standing in the outfield most of the times. Coach Dave asked me to practice with Victor at home. I was certain that Victor didn't like baseball and was really to pull him out, but Yang told me to give it more time.

Initially Victor didn't want to practice at home. But on the second day we persuade him to try. He kept getting better and started to hit the balls. Now we practice every day and he always has a good time.

Yesterday the team played a practice game. Yang, Oliver and I were there cheering him on. He got one hit and drove in a run. Amazingly, he liked fast ball and hit the ball two out of three times. Coach Dave was amazed too. He murmured that Victor was hitting at the Major League speed. Victor is still an average player, but he is good enough to contribute to the team and have fun. He seems to be fearless when learning new skills. I wish that I always have his spirit.

No comments: