Saturday, May 24, 2008

MercyCorps

I read some stories about fraud and corruptions about some Chinese Red Cross officials while handling earthquake relief. This was heartbreaking. In one instance, one Red Cross official tried to get a 50,000RMB receipt for a 10,000 RMB purchase. In another instance, a relief tent showed up in downtown Chungking, cause a near street riot.


I lost faith in the Chinese relief organizations completely. I thought long and hard on whether I should still make the donation. At the end, I still decide to find a reputable charity to contribute. There is so much misery there; I cannot risk not trying just because some corrupt Red Cross people. A colleague at work recommend MercyCorps. So I rushed and made the biggest one time donation that I ever made.

No comments: