Thursday, March 27, 2008

Our Household Green Scorecard

Yang and I have always been living modestly. Conserving everything, including energy, is in our nature. These days I've been wondering how we really do for our part to protect the earth for every living being. Let's do an objective assessment:

  • Household size: We get B-. We have two kids, slightly below the average size of the US household. We should get a B except that we have two boys. Boys tend to use more resource than girls base on my observation.
  • Shelter: We get D. We are guilty in buying a large place to live, much bigger than necessary.
  • Transportation: We get C. Our cars have average MPG ratings (22 and 28). We should get an F as I drive about 100 miles every day for work. But we were saved by my taking two passengers every morning across the Bay Bridge.
  • Energy Usage: A. We use very little electricity and natural gas. Our electricity and natural gas bills are always very low. We don't have an air-conditioner. We use energy-saving light bulbs everywhere. In the winter, the temperature in our
  • General Consumption: B. We don't buy much new products. Our TVs are small and more than 10 years old. We all drive used cars. We don't have many new cloths.
  • Water consumption: A-. Our water bills are very low. We don't have lawn and we try to recycle household water to our garden.
  • Recycling: A. We recycle everything paper, water, boxes, plastic bags, egg containers, etc. My Mom is a natural in this department. Everything she visits us, she always shows us new ways to reuse and recycles things.

Our overall score is B-. We are doing well but could be better.

What is your score?

1 comment:

Yang said...

I hope to teach our boys to live modestly. There is no excuse to waste energy and/or succumb to excessive consumption in an industrialized society. I hate to waste every bit of food and end up eating leftover from their plates (even with spoiled food I gauge my risk of getting sick/fat).